版主推荐=1English Corner
广同社区高级通行证 天朗
7/24/2003 1:52:00 PM (#3512)
点击统计:140104 责任编辑:白饭
12/30/2003 11:07:00 PM (#407282)
mymouse 该角色已不存在
Are you often using English in the school?
Anywhere how do you think or feel about GZTZ, are we spend too much time at here or what purpose you guys came here for?
Hope you all have a good new year 2004.
Best regards.
12/30/2003 11:12:00 PM (#407308)
高级通行证 天朗

级别:31
来自:(广东) 广州
诞生:8/21/2003
I don't often speak English on compus.I am the administrator in Campus Love, so, I have to come here frequently.That's my answer.how about other guys?
12/31/2003 2:12:00 AM (#408009)
冬眠状态通行证 hololo

级别:35
来自:(澳大利亚) 墨尔本
诞生:11/14/2003
In fact ,this is the first time I get here.After a quick browse,I find it splendid in faith.
12/31/2003 2:32:00 AM (#408024)
Aten 该角色已不存在
errrrr......long long ago,,,,,,aten said something here.................

hi mate, arrrrr teem_long, long time no see larrrrrr,...

nice dream errr...
12/31/2003 11:37:00 AM (#408490)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#407169)天朗:
(引用内容太长已被省略)

Hahaha... Come on, Teem Long, you can't just get away from this... Autobiography please!
1/2/2004 2:40:00 PM (#414829)
mymouse 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#408490)nayiak:
(引用回贴#407169)天朗:
(引用内容太长已被省略)

Hahaha... Come on, Teem Long, you can't just get away from this... Autobiography please!

Autobiography : The biography of a person written by that person.
This is also what famous in our circle,everybody like to know each other.
1/2/2004 2:59:00 PM (#414886)
冬眠状态通行证 GZMEN

诞生:9/16/2003
(引用回贴#316312)天朗:
OK.The topic of this week is "What do You Think about the Comments on Politics in Our Commity?"

Today, 爱情抗体,who is the director of our commity,anounced that,"All the comments on politics must be deleted in three days." What's your opinion of this action ?

isn't 小奇 the director of our commity (CEO)?

1/2/2004 7:40:00 PM (#415547)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#414829)mymouse:
This is also what famous in our circle,everybody like to know each other.

--------------------------

Hmmmm... not necessarily true.  Curiosity is a natural human quality that generally exists in every social group, but not just in gay people.  Plus, people on the internet tend to be a little bit more curious about each other because the internet itself is virtual and intangible.  A little bit human quality in it would make it more personal.  

Plus, Teem Long hasn't really posted any discussion topics for some time.  So, as a "punishment", he needs to lead the discussion again by presenting us his autobiography.  
1/2/2004 9:53:00 PM (#415973)
mymouse 该角色已不存在
Totaly agree with you, Mr.nayiak.
Hope we can get the reply from Teem Long.
1/3/2004 1:11:00 AM (#416359)
高级通行证 天朗

I hope nayiak could help me a lot.Because I'm busy in the preparation for final exams.I have no time to take charge of the English Corner,even Campus Love.I hope nayiak could be the leader of this English Corner with setting different topic for each week.
1/5/2004 2:55:00 PM (#424637)
冬眠状态通行证 GZMEN

诞生:9/16/2003
agree with the cmmt of presenting Teem Long's autobiography and support nayiak setting different topic for English Corner.

1/7/2004 11:19:00 AM (#430120)
Qoo~火星人!! 该角色已不存在
Back from Aus finally, got lotsa pics from the NYE party with my mates and had so much fun, lately becoming abit too busy with work and also with school exams, i will catch up with some of you guys as soon as i am free. ok....chat later fags....
1/7/2004 12:59:00 PM (#430422)
RYOWOO 该角色已不存在
god damn it............................
1/7/2004 1:01:00 PM (#430435)
高级通行证 天朗

(引用回贴#430422)RYOWOO:

what meaning a ?what you said is beyond what the guys said above
1/7/2004 2:09:00 PM (#430687)
nicco 该角色已不存在
It is too hard to read it~~~~~
1/7/2004 5:13:00 PM (#431365)
Qoo~火星人!! 该角色已不存在
What the heck r u guys on about? i think we need some help from fish-ball-dog or something...at least my bro would have some sorta a clue about what i am on about....dodgy...n e way...here's are the pic for NYE...ENJOY!

附件:03-12-31
1/8/2004 10:39:00 AM (#433743)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#431365)Qoo~火星人!!:
(引用内容太长已被省略)

any protential candidates here for you?!   It must be warm in Australia now... Alas, I still have a chance yet to visit it...
1/8/2004 10:39:00 AM (#433745)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#430422)RYOWOO:

Not a very nice comment to make, buddy...
1/8/2004 10:46:00 AM (#433764)
高级通行证 天朗

nayiak, would you please set a top for this week here ?
1/8/2004 5:41:00 PM (#434951)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#433764)天朗:
nayiak, would you please set a top for this week here ?

Okay, I will respectfully take the honor bestowed by Teem Long to give a weekly discussion topic.  

For this week:

What are your opinions on the current college examination system--is it helpful in assessing students' skills and knowledge?

(Since many people will be finishing up their exams, I thought it would be a topic to do a little reflection on exams.  I will share my opinions later this week.)
1/8/2004 6:11:00 PM (#435016)
奇玡 该角色已不存在
First time I come to this place!So surprise!All persons here use only English to talk!Very hard for me,for my Chinese-English!I will come here more often to improve my English,to make more friends who are good at English!

Now I say something about the topic.In my opinion,no one like  the exam,including the teachers.
But if there is no exams,student will relax themselves more than now.It is bad for them to find a job in the future.It is bad for the society to choice excellent workers as well.
Anyway,I don't like exam very much.Four exams are still waiting for me!Good luck to everybody!I think I must stay up tonight again!
1/9/2004 9:50:00 AM (#436972)
Qoo~火星人!! 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#433743)nayiak:
(引用回贴#431365)Qoo~火星人!!:
(引用内容太长已被省略)

any protential candidates here for you?!   It must be warm in Australia now... Alas, I still have a chance yet to visit it...

hmmm...well.....i personally more into Aussies.....most of my bf...well i should say all of my bfs are aussies...so yeah...i would say there are no potential candidates here for me *grin*
1/9/2004 10:57:00 AM (#437141)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
Assessment Is a Necessity
But Is Examination an Avenue? Not Necessarily

Here is what I think about examinations.  It is pretty much beyond doubt that some sort of assessment for the students’ understanding of the materials is necessary for an educational system.  However, the core question here is whether examination is a necessary means, or at least, the ultimate tool for such purpose.

I finished my high school and college in the U.S and had first-hand experiences on both educational systems.  The Chinese system focuses more on standardized tests, which are understandable for primary and secondary education because much of the knowledge covered at these levels does not require serious creativity or critical analysis skills anyway.  Also, the competitiveness in the Chinese system makes standardizes tests the most effective way to massively categorize students into different academic groups (i.e. different ranks of schools).  The American system on the other hand tends to pay more attention in leaving room for students’ creativity and critical thinking, which is also manifested through the types of assessments the teachers usually choose.  Many of the final grades even in my high school classes are determined by the accumulation of analytical reports and projects throughout the entire semester.  Final exams are not unusual, but they really bear the same fatal weight as the ones in the Chinese system.

As for college education, where creativity is far more important than memorization, rigid standardized exams probably are not the ultimate way to assess students’ abilities and knowledge.  This is especially true for social sciences and humanities disciplines.  What good does it do for being able to recite the exact years when the historical events happened, while you could actually critically analyze the events in a much more sophisticated manner within a broader social and historical context?  Productivity is often proportional to the level of creativity and critical analysis skills of the workforce, and thus the foremost mission of college education should be focusing on cultivating creativity with critical analysis skills rather than mere memorization.  

Academic assessment is arguably necessary in many aspects, but it is about time for Chinese colleges and universities to first assess whether their assessments are truthful and effective for the mission of higher education—cultivating creativity and critical analysis skills.    
1/14/2004 6:46:00 PM (#453413)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
Well.... It looks like people are not very willing to reflect on exams once getting over with them....

That's quite understandable... Hmmm... let's talk about something more light-heated then for this week.

What is your ideal plan for spending the Chinese Lunar New Year?

An ideal plan could be something unrealistic, like spending it with your idol, traveling to another country, etc.... So, let your fantasy out and share it with us...
1/14/2004 9:00:00 PM (#453864)
为爱沉沦 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#27897)天朗:
Come on , everybody ! Say it in English whatever you like ~ I have too many lovely flowers for you !

Really??then,please give me your lovely frower!!!
1/19/2004 3:52:00 PM (#467669)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
Hmmmm... maybe people are busy... but come on, spend a couple minutes to tell us what your ideal plan is for the Chinese Lunar New Year... please...
1/21/2004 12:56:00 AM (#472617)
落地 该角色已不存在
How can I get your mean. Oh, my poor English.
1/30/2004 7:39:00 PM (#502652)
counan 该角色已不存在
Full of English, just like a hell.
I'm fainting
But it was a good idea that to make a site like this.
It realy give you a good chance to pratice TYPING English. But, for me, it is only help you improve your typing English , but the problem is that the really thing we need to pratice is speaking English. Why couldn't we set up a place to let us talk with English,
but not typing articles or typing something with gramma illness.
1/30/2004 7:44:00 PM (#502668)
冬眠状态通行证 hololo

级别:35
来自:(澳大利亚) 墨尔本
诞生:11/14/2003
(引用回贴#502652)counan:
I'm fainting
It realy give you a good chance to pratice TYPING English. But, for me, it is only help you improve your typing English , but the problem is that the really thing we need to pratice is speaking English. Why couldn't we set up a place to let us talk with English,

I agree!
2/2/2004 8:11:00 AM (#514382)
普通通行证 simon209

级别:29
诞生:1/23/2004
i don;t think it's useful
2/2/2004 10:26:00 PM (#517948)
普通通行证 傻猪猪

级别:20
诞生:8/26/2003
Hi everyone, this is the first time I've been to this section.  Maybe some of you don't like this section, but I feel this section is very intereting.  

When I was in the campus, I went to the English Corner every week. Almost everyweek I was the last one to leave Xing Ting in the center of the beautiful campus of ZSU. Karen was my best friend in English Corner. Everytime I went to English Corner I would look for her and talked to her for a long time.  She is really a smart girl.  Initially, I went to English Corner to practise my oral English.  After I met Karen, I found that I changed, I talked in English because I wanted to communicate with her.  I found many of my views for the world were founded and changed during my coversation with Karen in English Corner during the four years.  

Karen knew me well. However, there is one thing she doesn't know about me.  I only realized that I am gay just before I graduated from ZSU.  I was myself  struggling whethe and how to accept this.  But I believe Karen would understand and accept me since she is an open minded girl.

Now many years passed by and I haven't seen Karen again after graduation. I hope everything is going on well with her and if I have a chance to talk to her again I would tell her" Hi Karen, look this handsome guy is my lover...."
2/6/2004 11:40:00 PM (#537978)
小蜻蜓 该角色已不存在
Massachusetts Ruling Clears Way for Gay Marriage
1 hour, 29 minutes ago

By Greg Frost

BOSTON (Reuters) - Massachusetts gays won another major victory on Wednesday when the state's top court told lawmakers to allow full-fledged marriage for same-sex couples because anything less would make them "second-class" citizens.

Reuters Photo

AFP
Slideshow: Same-Sex Marriage Issues

Massachusetts' Supreme Judicial Court, whose landmark ruling last year struck down a state ban on same-sex marriages, said in an advisory opinion that only marriages for gays, not civil unions, were valid under the state's constitution.

The court's 4-3 ruling echoed its November decision, and left no wiggle room for state lawmakers who were pushing for a law that would create Vermont-style civil unions -- essentially a parallel form of marriage for gays and lesbians.

But the Massachusetts court slammed the door shut on civil unions, saying they would violate the constitution by perpetuating a "second-class citizen status" for gays and lesbians.

"The bill maintains an unconstitutional, inferior and discriminatory status for same-sex couples," the court said.

Massachusetts Attorney General Tom Reilly, who last year accused the justices of overstepping their bounds and was among those hoping for a civil union compromise, said the court had spoken clearly and that he would comply.

"Same-sex couples have the constitutional right to marry under Massachusetts law," Reilly said in a statement. "As the state's chief law enforcement officer, it is my responsibility to uphold the law and I will fulfill that responsibility."

Same-sex marriage has become a hot-button issue in this election year, with opponents like President Bush (news - web sites) saying it would destroy the institution of marriage.

CONSTITUTIONAL CHANGE?

Bush called the ruling "deeply troubling" and said an amendment to the U.S. Constitution may be needed.

"Marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman. If activist judges insist on redefining marriage by court order, the only alternative will be the constitutional process. We must do what is legally necessary to defend the sanctity of marriage," he said in a statement.

Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council which opposes same-sex marriage, called for a change in the Constitution. "Today's decision ... leaves no doubt what is at stake in Massachusetts. Either the institution of marriage will be protected, or it will be redefined out of existence."

The ruling came as Massachusetts lawmakers prepared a constitutional battle of their own that could result in an amendment making marriage legal only between a man and a woman.

But amending the state constitution is a lengthy process, and gay rights supporters predicted the drive to exclude same-sex couples from marriage would fade over time.

"Anti-gay groups may proceed ahead in efforts to amend the state's constitution (but) as that debate moves forward, people will see same-sex couples who are legally married, and they will see...these married couples pose no threat to society," David Buckel, director of Lambda Legal's Marriage Project, said in a statement.

Even if gays and lesbians marry in Massachusetts, however, their rights may end at the state's borders. Ohio's legislature recently reaffirmed its definition of marriage as a union between a man and a woman -- a standard that 37 other states and the federal government have also set to deny recognition to same-sex unions created elsewhere. (Additional reporting by Tim McLaughlin and Steve Holland in Washington)

2/9/2004 11:42:00 AM (#548841)
冬眠状态通行证 小笼

级别:39
诞生:10/26/2003
that's a good idea to type in english here
but it's more important to practise our oral.............
(English) skills

2/9/2004 5:47:00 PM (#550778)
梦丽莎王 该角色已不存在
When I return,I will be a beatiful and zealous princess whose husband is god...
2/11/2004 10:59:00 AM (#559946)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#502652)counan:
I'm fainting

The importance of oral communication skills in English is certainly crucial.  However, does not mean practicing written English contradicts the goal of practicing oral communication skills.  This is not an “either-or” question, but rather you can take advantage of her as a place to improve your English writing skills while using other opportunities to enhance your oral communication skills.  

2/11/2004 11:05:00 AM (#560004)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#517948)傻猪猪:
(引用内容太长已被省略)

That’s a pretty sweet reflection.  I have never been to an English corner in GZ… and maybe I should check it out next time when I go back to GZ.  Coming out to friends face to face may be a little bit difficult to do, especially if she is going to be the first one to whom you come out.  This is because face to face communication leaves very little room for a personal to conduct rational thinking.  Emotional influxes can usually overrule a person’s reaction when s/he (meaning “she or he”) hears extraordinary news like that.  At any rate, whether you come out to Karen or anyone else, be prepare to cope with that person’s emotion, provide logical reasoning if s/he is overtaken by emotion, and being knowledgeable about gay issues is always helpful when answering many questions s/he may have… Good luck and please keep coming back to tell us more stories…  
2/11/2004 11:07:00 AM (#560028)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
Due to the lack of interest, I would like to propose changing the frequency of posting discussion topics.  Instead of weekly, I think posting it every other week would probably be more practical… Any thoughts on this?
2/14/2004 2:37:00 PM (#575923)
冬眠状态通行证 萨芬

级别:40
诞生:11/29/2003
Wish everyone happy Valentime's Day
2/14/2004 3:53:00 PM (#576323)
EvaChan 该角色已不存在
All English?
I will try my best to do it well.
I think I can.
2/17/2004 10:10:00 PM (#589861)
冬眠状态通行证 flashfeeling

级别:16
long time no chat in English~

this trem we have no oral English class

2/17/2004 11:47:00 PM (#590262)
冬眠状态通行证 茫然

级别:33
诞生:9/3/2003
My English is poor!!Who want to be my English teach.
2/17/2004 11:51:00 PM (#590281)
冬眠状态通行证 boyjim

级别:51
(引用回贴#590262)茫然:
My English is poor!!Who want to be my English teach.

dont use  'poor'
you can just use sucks, the same meaning as poor but better than 'poor'

you can say
my english sucks
2/24/2004 9:04:00 PM (#618418)
bamn 该角色已不存在

holy jesus

all english

any gay english ?
2/28/2004 6:34:00 AM (#633003)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#618418)bamn:

holy jesus

all english

any gay english ?

Indeed, there is "gay" English... it's just a set of vocabulary specifically used by the gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender population.

BTW, using “holy Jesus” may not be the best expression.  It could offend religious as well as atheist people.
3/1/2004 7:35:00 PM (#643471)
雪の恋人 该角色已不存在
well... according to an article i read a while ago, there IS actually a type of English used mostly by homosexual people during the 1800, similar to what you might read in plays of shakespeare... however i need to do some research on it if you want specific details...
3/1/2004 8:20:00 PM (#643615)
雪の恋人 该角色已不存在
Polari... is the type of dialect used by the homosexual during the 1970 in london...
3/2/2004 12:46:00 PM (#646199)
冬眠状态通行证 一本草

级别:16
来自:(广东) 深圳
诞生:1/14/2004
No long ago , i read an article saying that Shakespeare might a homosexual.
3/3/2004 10:33:00 AM (#650178)
nayiak 该角色已不存在
(引用回贴#643615)雪の恋人:
Polari... is the type of dialect used by the homosexual during the 1970 in london...

Very interesting.  I found more info here:
http://www.chris-d.net/polari/

It seems like it is mainly a collection of slangs and I am not sure if it could be classified as a dialect or language.   It seems it does not have enough components (like a certain number of verbs, nouns, etc.) to be fully practical in daily lives.  Of course, I am not a linguistics, so I can't really say how a language or dialect could be classified.
3/3/2004 1:00:00 PM (#650861)
奇古戴 该角色已不存在
well,English is the best.but only language.not all.
3/5/2004 5:19:00 PM (#660420)
小蜻蜓 该角色已不存在
President Bush this week urged Congress to pass an amendment to the United States Constitution to ban same-sex marriages. He said this is needed to stop what he called activist judges and local officials who want to redefine marriage.

The president says all cultures and religions honor the union of a man and woman. He says changing this would weaken the influence of society.

Amending the Constitution requires a two-thirds vote in both houses of Congress. Then it requires approval by at least thirty-eight of the fifty states. All this can take years, if it succeeds at all.

Democratic opponents of an amendment say Mister Bush is trying to use the issue to help him win re-election. Not all Republicans support the idea of an amendment. Some say the issue should be decided by the states. But many conservatives had been urging Mister Bush to speak out on recent events.

In November, the top court in Massachusetts ruled that a state ban on same-sex marriage was unconstitutional. The court ordered lawmakers to change the law so gays can marry. This has not happened yet. But the mayor of San Francisco recently began to permit homosexuals to marry at City Hall. California law bans same-sex marriage. The California attorney general is trying to defend that law by having the state Supreme Court rule on the actions in San Francisco.

More than three-thousand same-sex weddings have been performed in San Francisco during the past two weeks. On Friday the mayor of a small college town in New York state also began to let same-sex couples marry.

In Massachusetts, opponents tried to have gay marriages barred through an amendment to the state constitution. That effort failed, but it might be reconsidered in March. At least thirty-eight states have passed laws or amendments to bar recognition of gay marriages.

President Bush says a constitutional amendment is needed to defend the nineteen-ninety-six Defense of Marriage Act. That federal law declares that marriage in the United States is the legal union between a man and a woman. It also gives the states the right not to honor same-sex marriage permits from other states. President Bill Clinton signed it into law.

Public opinion research shows that most Americans oppose gay marriage. But the public appears more divided on the issue of what are called civil unions. Civil unions offer rights that are similar to those for husbands and wives. Vermont recognizes civil unions. A few other states also have laws that extend some rights to same-sex partners.

President Bush says he supports protections like civil unions for same-sex couples, but not marriage itself.